Monday, October 6, 2014

walmart dating and other news

This was a good week in Provo. A little crazy, but good. My homework had gotten to be a little overwhelming, but that's college life for ya. I'll start off with a crazy story, then I'll tell you some spiritual stuff.

So my roommate and I went grocery shopping at Walmart. We were standing in line for me to fill my prescription and there was this Chinese guy in front of us. He looked like he was maybe mid thirties, early forties. He asked me some questions and he asked me if I was a member of the church. I said yes, and he said, oh! Members of Church of Jesus Christ are very nice, very kind people. Then it was his turn to order his prescription, so he said, I would like to continue this conversation, and walked up to the counter. Honestly, I thought he was just being polite and that he was a little confused about American culture. So we continued our shopping, and a like half an hour later we were in the cereal aisle and he came up to me and said, I was serious about continuing conversation. So we visited a bit about my mission and I was thinking to myself, this is the strangest missionary opportunity I've ever had! Then his face starts turning red and he tells me that he's sorry that he always gets a little nervous and then I'm like, dang he is going to ask me out! And he says, pretty girl like you probably seeing someone, right? And I said yes, because obviously I wasn't going to date this random man from Walmart. And then he apologized and said he hoped he didn't offend me, and he left. So I'm standing there trying to process all of that, and this old lady had heard the whole thing so she comes up to me to offer me her pepper spray. Oh gracious, it was just the strangest thing. People in Provo are crazy. 

So aside from that, wasn't the women's conference awesome? 

President Uchtdorf is the sweetest. His talk really touched me heart. I also loved what Sister Marriott had to say about how our bodies are like temples. Just beautiful. 

I've been getting into family history work. My whole mission I always wanted to be able to find names but I never had time. So lately I've been going on family search and just checking everyone for possible duplicates to try and fix my family tree. On Saturday morning my roommate and I went to the temple and did baptisms for some of her family names. I felt so strongly about a particular part of my family line, so I got on family search and started looking at them. I resolved all the duplicates and got them all sorted out and now they're sealed to all of their children, not just the one on my family line. I could really feel the mother guiding me as I found things to pull them all together. That was really neat.

So yesterday I did some more work. I found out that one of my ancestors made the clock for the Church of England, which is obviously in England. That man, William Cook, was a Methodist preacher. His daughter and son in law were the first members of that side of my family to join the church. I kept going down the line and again, felt so strongly about a particular name. As the Spirit guided me, I was able to find two entire families of people to do temple work for. It was just a beautiful experience. Y'all, the church is so true.

Anyways, that was long and drawn out. I'm excited for conference this weekend. It's going to be wonderful.

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment